SoLAR exists to ensure that there is an expansive, transformative vision for what analytics might mean for the future of learning and to promote a very critical discourse that is non-partisan, and grounded as far as possible in practice-based research. SoLAR is a non-profit organization. Incorporation is currently underway.
SoLAR activities include:
- Overseeing the annual Learning Analytics and Knowledge conference,
- Engage in collaborative research (particularly in the development of Open Learning Analytics Architecture),
- Publications on the state and future of analytics in learning, training, and education
- Consultations with government, educational leaders, and policy makers on analytics deployment and evaluation
- Shared research with vendors and analytics providers
SoLAR defines learning analytics as the measurement, collection, analysis and reporting of data about learners and their contexts, for purposes of understanding and optimizing learning and the environments in which it occurs.